Monday, April 7, 2014

Fried Bananas

Sushi is one of those things that you either love it or hate it. For me, it's an incredible love that sometimes turns abusive (all-you-can-eat is dangerous). One of the highlights of a sushi outing is the fried bananas for dessert, so I set out to re-create them in the simplest way possible.



I searched and searched for batter recipes, which most were egg-based or too complicated, and finally stumbled on this gem from Best Recipes.

Link here

I don't really care that it's made for chicken or fish, it's simple and easy to make. All we need to do is a sub for non-dairy milk. Perfect. Now, nobody I know actually has a deep fryer handy. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to have access to a deep fryer. I would probably deteriorate my health at a rapid rate with it. This is why I just use a shallow-frying method when I need to. Using this batter recipe, I went out on a whim and created a wicked batch of fried bananas.

Ingredients:
3 bananas
1 batch of batter recipe (I used coconut milk)
1 cup of Shreddies cereal or unsalted plain breadcrumbs
oil for frying (you can use canola, olive or coconut oil)
maple syrup to drizzle



Directions:

If using Shreddies: Put Shreddies cereal into a plastic baggie and smash them until they become very small crumbles (the smaller the better).

Slice bananas lengthwise and then into thirds, for a total of 6 pieces per banana. Heat enough oil in a pan to ''shallow fry'' the bananas, about 1/4 of an inch deep. Dip one banana piece into the batter to fully coat, and quickly roll it into the Shreddies or breadcrumbs. Put 2-3 battered banana pieces in the frying pan at a time and cook them for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drizzle some maple syrup on top and eat up. Hope you enjoy these as much as I do!

What's your food vice? Candy? Fries? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment