- Sugar (replace with agave nectar)
- Modified palm oil (destroying rainforest! Skipping the oil to reduce fat content, but feel free to try it because it gives it a smoother texture)
- Hazelnuts (yep)
- Cocoa (yep)
- Skim milk powder (I used almond milk, but I also could have tried soy milk powder)
- Whey powder (dairy by-product)
- Lecithin (What?? After doing a bit of research, I found out that lecithin is a fat that can be derived from many sources to improve texture. Most lecithin is derived from soybeans, but other sources include egg yolks, so no guarantee.)
- Vanillin (Vanilla, for those of us who speak english)
- Nuts to you Hazelnut butter (I get mine from well.ca)
- Cocoa powder
- Agave nectar
- Almond milk
**Sorry to all you specific-measurements people, this one is all about experimenting!
It turned out great for me. It's not as smooth (and glamourous) as the original Nutella, but it tastes amazingly similar. I have a small jar of it and the first thing I wanted to use it with was Nutella and banana on toast! Wow, THAT was quite the treat at 1:30AM (yes, I was supposed to be studying...) and I'm so happy to have created a version of this childhood favourite, in a healthier and more compassionate way! :)
What other childhood favourites would you like to re-create in a vegan version? Tell me in the comments below!
I can't go without saying Mac N Cheese! Stay tuned for some crazy cheesy experiments :)