Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chocolate-Glazed Mini Donuts (vegan)

This year, my sister bought me this donut maker from Babycakes for Christmas. I was SO excited to try it! Since we decided to do a cleanse for the month of January, it remained unopened for the month, sadly collecting dust. On the first weekend of Febuary, I took that baby out and got right into it! I tried the donut recipe from Chloe Coscarelli's cookbook, Chloe's Kitchen (my Christmas present to myself) but I replaced the nutmeg with cinnamon. When I was mixing the dry and wet ingredients together, I found the batter to be a little bit thick. After adding about 1/4 cup of extra soymilk, the batter was much better but still quite thick. Even with that, I found the donuts turned out a little dense, so I will try adding 1/2 cup soymilk to the liquids next time. Overall, the donut-making was great; super easy and quick. The donut-iron (is that what I'm supposed to call it?) took about 5 minutes per batch, and using the ziplock-bag method for piping the dough made the whole process so much easier!




I decided to go with a chocolate glaze to dip the tops of the donuts in. Okay, so my chocolate-glazing wasn't the most skillful and pretty. Maybe I need to go work at Tim Horton's and learn the arts of donut glazing. Oh well, they tasted amazing!


These little beauties are the perfect size for snacking, so maybe that's not such a good thing...


Can't wait to try my next batch! Have you ever made donuts? What's your favourite flavour/recipe?

2 comments:

  1. Just found you through VBU!... Your donuts look perfect! I've made mine using a donut tin (the kind you bake in the oven), but I'm loving the idea of a "donut iron". My favorite recipe (so far) is a cinnamon-sugar coated pumpkin donut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Do you have a recipe? I'd love to try it!

      Delete