Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Campus News: Vegetarian Club

I have great news! I have officially started a vegetarian club at my school, with the help of a few others who wanted to get involved. Just wanted to share this with you because I'm SO very excited!

I'm a fourth year student at +Laurentian University - Université Laurentienne and I was always somewhat dissapointed in my campus experience since I lived off campus the whole time. The clubs aren't very active either, so I haven't participated to much as far as our campus community. There is more of a focus on sports I find, and that's not really for me.

Being vegetarian for most of my schooling and now fully vegan, my food options on campus aren't even close to being accomodating. +Tim Hortons has a few vegan bagels that I can get without butter, and the cafeteria has a fruit and vegetable bar that is usually quite unapealing, but it does have some tasty homefries and hummus snacks. So those are about all my options as far as food, and the prices are outrageous. Not really worth it.

I have started going to the Northern Vegetarian Society's monthly potlucks on a regular basis now, which have been fantastic! It got me thinking about wanting to be more involved, going to more events like these. In this town, that's about all we got. So I somehow got the idea to start a vegetarian club on campus. How have I never thought of this before?!?!? Now I'm graduating in 2 months and that's all I have left to be involved on campus! Better late than never I guess.



After posting a suggestion to start this club on a popular facebook page that reaches many students, I received lots of likes and comments. I was floored by the support! We started a group message on +Facebook+ and we got planning. We made a Facebook page called Laurentian University Veg Heads, and we got over 75 likes in the first few days of advertising it online! We are hosting our first potluck and movie night in March, with bake sales and cooking workshops also in the works. I feel like this club would make an impact if it were to keep students involved and keep spreading the veg*n message. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to getting this club up and going for the future students!

Have you ever done something like this? What kind of things would you like to see happen where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment