Sunday, September 22, 2013

VegFoodFest 2013: Part 2 - Saturday

Day 2 of the Toronto Vegetarian Food Festival was amazing! Haven't read my post about Day 1? Read it here.

The first event of my day was Marni Wasserman's presentation called "Fully Nourished". I have to say she looked absolutely ravishing and glowing, even on that icky rainy day.


The cooking demo was really informative and nutrition-focused. She talked about multiple uses for ingredients like quinoa (the nutritional superstar) and cooking tips for different uses like porridge and salads. The quinoa salad recipe demonstrated was amazing - it really was great for a full meal type of salad. It had quinoa, chickpeas, shredded beets and carrots, kale, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, avocado and a homemade dressing. And we all got to taste it afterwards!


Marni Wasserman's Quinoa Salad



Marni also walked us through how easy it really is to make your own granola at home. Her recipe contained oats (whole rolled oats - not instant!), coconut oil, coconut nectar or maple syrup, dried apricots and raisins, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. This was a very versatile recipe, because you can mix and match add-ins to customize it. A very important tip that she gave us: add the dried fruit at the end - don't cook the fruit! Her suggestion was to serve it on a vegan yogurt, like Yoso coconut yogurt. Another way to boost protein intake is to mix in add protein powder to the yogurt before adding the granola - such a good idea!

The next presentation I wanted to attend was at 5pm, so I wandered around this vegan wonderland and purchased some more amazing food and merchandise. I wish I could have a list of every single vendor there but just to give you an idea, check out the www.festival.veg.ca website and I also jotted down a few of my favourite exhibitors.

- Sweets from the Earth
- Marni Wasserman
- Nud Fud
- PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine)
- Daiya Foods
- Toronto Vegetarian Association
- Vega
- Gardein
- Karma ChaMEALeon food truck

Some goodies I got from the marketplace:

Daiya t-shirt
WTF Vegan Food bumper sticker
Camino Cocoa Powder
Soyatoo soy-based whipped cream
Manitoba Harvest Hemp hearts
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar


Two cookbooks from the Toronto Vegetarian Association
Crazy Sexy Kitchen: 150 Plant-Empowered Recipes to Ignite a Mouthwatering Revolution


assortment of veggie items from Nelakee

After my shenanigans I headed over to Kristin Lajeunesse's presentation on her amazing Will Travel For Vegan Food road trip all over the United States to visit every vegan restaurant. She spoke about her childhood and her upbringing into veganism in her family. I couldn't wait to hear her speak about her trip and how it changed her life. It was so touching and inspiring!


I've been a huge fan of hers for a while now, and I was so excited to meet her!

Showing off our Vegan tattoos

After this, well I had some yummy restaurant eats that you'll have to check out in my upcoming restaurant review post from my Toronto trip. And after that, the girls and I went out on the town and danced up a storm. :)
Day 3 of the Vegetarian Food Festival, is up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment